Monday 16 November 2009

A blanket apology

My mouth was running away with me today (no, I know, it's a shocker, right?). I wasn't intentionally rude, and in fact, it's something that may not even have registered with the person I was speaking to at the time. And that's why I'm not apologising to them directly; you can imagine, can't you:

Aunty: I'm so sorry for what I said earlier.
Chum: About what?
Aunty: About the thing. When I said the thing.
Chum: Oh. I assumed it was just a quip. I didn't think you intended any rudeness. But now that you've brought it up, it adds weight to it. So now I'm offended.


And so, if I have offended anyone today, I apologise. Normally I'd blame my lack of tact on the wine, but that's an excuse that I've found doesn't really work before lunchtime.

No comments:

Post a Comment